We are Quest Coffee Roasters, a long established espresso bar and roastery with a loyal community following in Burleigh Heads and the Gold Coast. We sell coffee beans and products in store, online, and wholesale. We are known for our top quality coffee, delicious in house baked cakes and treats, and friendly in cafe service.
We are looking to add a part-time Baker for between 15 and 30 hours a week to manage and run our baked goods operations, and potentially contribute in other areas that may be of interest to someone with barista experience, social media or other skills. Location will at least initially be at our 20 James Street cafe in the beautiful Burleigh Heads.
Our team is young, energised, passionate, and you’ll be supported by experienced professionals from coffee, product, business, and software backgrounds. Our goal is to build a workplace and business that gives back to society by empowering individuals, small businesses, and communities. We believe social and environmental business sustainability is essential to the health of our society.
- Managing baked good supplies for Quest Coffee Roasters.
- Cooking and baking.
- Cleaning and maintaining hygiene to ensure compliance with occupational health and safety regulations.
- Researching, developing, adjusting, and maintaining recipes.
- Inventory management and stocktake.
- Ordering and purchasing ingredients and equipment.
- Providing direction to other team members involved with baking.
- Gathering customer feedback on recipes.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading baked good and food service publications, and maintaining personal networks.
- 2 or more years experience as a professional baker
- A strong understanding of OH&S and Food Safety Standards
- Experienced operating high speed mixers
- Ability to assess the quality of raw ingredients
- Knowledge of oven management, and monitoring oven temperatures and product appearance to determine baking times
- Working with cookie batters and shortbread doughs
- Experience with kneading, cutting, moulding, mixing, and shaping dough and pastry goods
- Strong listening and verbal communication skills
- A keen taste for flavours and textures that would appeal to customers
- A discerning nose for aromas that would appeal to customers
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Availability to work weekdays, and at least 1 weekend day every fortnight
- Has own car or access to a car during work days
Nice to have
- Training team members in baking
- We have numerous other potential responsibilities available for the right candidate, and would love to find a candidate with any of the following additional attributes:
- Customer service, and til management
- IT / programming experience
- Marketing / photography / or writing experience
- Food Science education or studies in progress
- You strive for open and honest communication with respect for others
- Professional demeanour and a desire to exceed expectations
- Strong customer focus and empathy
- Desire to learn
- You are reliable, punctual, and organised
- You like getting things done and care about how they get done
- You are proactive and self-directed, identifying issues and opportunities ahead of time
- You strive for achievement and making a difference
- $21 – 25 / hour base rate + super
- Support from a great team
- Opportunities to learn and grow – cafe, online, and wholesale divisions
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll reach out to you to schedule an initial chat. Suitable candidates may be requested to complete a half day trial.